Milk It 2016
It is protein powder’s best friend, but what if you can’ stomach milk? If your post-workout protein shake mixed with milk is upsetting your stomach, here are some plant based milks that are just as effective for gains.
- Almond Milk – Low in protein and calories but has heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. Usually enriched with calcium and vitamins A and D.
- Coconut Milk – High in saturated fat with 5 grams per ounce. Contains vitamins C, E, and B, plus lauric acid, and antifungal and antiviral medium-chain fatty acid.
- Hemp Milk – Nutty, creamy, and good for those with nut or soy allergies. Hemp milk has 10 essential amino acids and has good levels of omega-3 and -6 fatty acids.
- Oat Milk – Contains more fiber than other milk substitutes. It packs lots of phytonutrients, has a sweet, grassy taste, and is free of saturated fats and cholesterol.
- Rice Milk – I suggest leaving rice milk on the shelf, as it does not naturally have much nutritional benefit unless it has been fortified.
- Soy Milk – High levels of iso-flavones, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Avoid brans with carrageenan which may cause stomach problems and inflammation.