Fuel up with these five tasty ways to enjoy the heart-healthy whole grain.
- Add Them To Muesli – mix 1 ¼ cup oats, 2/3 cup skim milk and 2/3 cup low-fat yogurt; let stand for 15 minutes. Mix 2/3 cup orange juice, ¼ cup honey, ¾ cup almonds, 2 ½ cups fresh fruit, and 1 cup shredded apples. Stir mixture into oats.
- Roll Them Into Bites – mix 1 cup oats, ½ cup nut butter and ground flax, 1/3 cup honey, 2/3 cup coconut flakes, and ¼ cup cacao nibs. Form balls. Chill.
- Put Them In A Pancake – whisk ½ cup old-fashioned oats, 3 egg whites, ½ shredded apple, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Spoon mixture onto pan. Flip when pancakes bubble.
- Use Them In Breading – blend raw or toasted oats and mix with panko flakes or ground almonds/walnuts to create a nutritious breading for steak, chicken, or fish.
- Make Them Into A Burger – cook 1 cup black beans and 1 cup white beans. Mash and mix with 1 ½ cups oats, 1 cup roasted bell pepper, ¾ cup water, and dashes of black pepper, chili powder, and cumin. Form patties. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.