Get Focused. Staying mentally engaged at the gym is Job Number 1 if you want results.
Five rules to help you get focused now:
- Be clear about what you want. Don’t just aim to improve – decide specifically what you want (to be bigger, stronger, leaner, fitter).
- Set short-and-long-term goals. As in, increase your squat by 10 pounds in the next month; 100 pounds in the next year.
- Have a mantra. Come up with a self-empowering phrase and repeat it often.
- Put your phone on airplane mode. No self-imposed distractions on the gym floor allowed.
- Wear earbuds. Unless you train alone at home, protect yourself from distracting conversations around the gym.