The Skinny on Soup
Your favorite bowl is doing your body good. Research shows that people consume fewer calories on days when they sip soup for meal. Not all are created equal, though. To keep calories, fat, and salt in check, choose a broth-or tomato-based variety with 750 milligrams of sodium or less per serving. Here is how five classic cups measure up.
- Split Pea: 185 calories, 4 grams fat, 722 milligrams sodium
- Cream of Tomato: 170 calories, 6 grams fat, 650 milligrams sodium
- New England Clam Chowder: 201 calories, 10 grams fat, 781 milligrams sodium
- Gazpacho: 46 calories, 0 grams fat, 739 milligrams sodium
- Chicken Noodle: 96 calories, 3 grams fat, 744 milligrams salt