Roasted Broccoli and Tomato Mac-and-Cheese
- ½ head broccoli, cut into small florets
- ½ small head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 6 ounces pasta shells
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 4 ounces low-fat cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
- 2 ounces thinly sliced pepper jack cheese
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Toss the broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of the oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, tossing once, until tender, 14 to 16 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, whisking, for 30 seconds, slowly whisk in milk. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar, vegetables, and pasta.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2-quart baking dish. Top with the pepper jack and broil until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.