HIIT The Gym
Got a little lazy this summer? No problem: you will be right back on track toward your fitness goals with this killer conditioning workout.
The HITTman Workout
Perform three rounds of the following circuit:
- Dumbbell Thruster – 60 seconds
- Prisoner Alternating Jumping Lunge – 30 seconds
- Dumbbell Renegade Row – 60 seconds
- Lateral Shuffle Hop – 30 seconds
- Superman – 60 seconds
Note: Rest 30 seconds between each exercise. One round of the five moves should take about 6 ½ minutes, while three rounds can be completed in 20. Over time, you can increase the challenge by trying to complete more reps in each timed set (without compromising your form). For resistance, choose dumbbells you ca lift 12 times where the last reps are challenging.
- Dumbbell Thruster – Take a shoulder-width stance and hold two dumbbells at chest level with your palms facing each other. Leading with your hips and bending your knees, descend into a deep squat with your core tight and back flat. From there drive forcefully upward, extending your hips and knees to a standing position. At the top, take advantage of the momentum created by pressing the dumbbells overhead as you rotate your palms forward, all in one fluid motion. Lower the weights to shoulder level and repeat.
- Prisoner Alternating Jumping Lunge – Get in lunge position, one foot forward (knee bent) and the other leg extended behind you, toes on the floor. Put your hands behind your head with fingers laced. Drop your hips and bend your knees to descend into a lunge and forcefully jump back up, switching leg position in midair so your front leg moves behind you and vice versa. Repeat for 30 seconds.
- Dumbbell Renegade Row – Place two dumbbells in a neutral position on the floor in front of you and get into a pushup start position, lower body balanced on your toes and each hand gripping a dumbbell. Do one pushup. From there, row one weight up to your flank and lower it to the floor, then the other. One pushup followed by a row with each arm equals one rep.
- Lateral Shuffle Hop – Get into a standing ready position with your head up, knees soft and arms away from your sides, elbows bent and hands facing forward. Hop to one side, absorbing the impact with your hips and knees. Immediately and explosively hop laterally in the other direction. Continue back and forth for 30 seconds.
- Superman – Lie facedown on the floor in a superman position: legs straight and together; arms extended straight overhead with your upper arms running alongside each ear. Simultaneously lift your legs and arms off the floor a few inches (or as high as you can) for a two-count, then lower and repeat for reps.