The Performance-Boosting Salad
Roasted Beet Quinoa Salad
- 1 pound medium red beets, ends trimmed
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 shallot, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces feta cheese, diced
- 4 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Individually wrap beets in aluminum foil and bake until easily pierced with a knife, about 45 minutes. Unwrap, let cool, peel and slice thin. (Wear plastic gloves when working with beets if desired.)
- In a large bowl, combine beets, quinoa, chickpeas, carrots and apples.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients, then toss beets mixture.
- Place spinach in serving bowls and top with beet salad. Garnish with cheese and walnuts.
- 443 calories
- 14 grams protein
- 57 grams carbs
- 20 grams fat