Hot Arms and Abs
Check it – these compound moves will get you sexy arms faster than those old one-spot-at-a-time sets. Maximizing the number of muscles that you use is a better way of working out. Do three rounds of this circuit using five to twelve pound dumbbells; the lighter ones are for shoulder presses, the heavier ones for curls. To net more toning, go slow as you lower the weights.
Arnold V Sit: Targets shoulders, biceps, triceps, and abs
- Sit on the floor with knees bent, feet flat, holding a dumbbell in each hand by hips, palms up. Lean back 45 degrees and lift feet (shins parallel to floor).
- Maintaining V Sit, curl weights to shoulders; press weights overhead, rotating arms out to a goalpost position and then extending them toward ceiling, palms facing forward.
- Reverse motion to lower weights to start.
- Do 15 to 20 reps.
Burning Bridge: Targets chest, triceps, butt and hamstrings
- Lie face up on the floor, knees bent and feet flat, holding dumbbells with arms bent by sides so that forearms are perpendicular to floor and palms face each other; lift hips (bridge position).
- Maintaining the bridge, do a chest press, extending arms straight up and then lowering them. Repeat 2 more times.
- At top of third chest press, keep upper arms steady and bend elbows to lower weights by ears. Extend arms upward again and repeat 2 more times. Lower arms to start.
- Complete series 4 to 6 times.
Ab-Fab Press: Targets shoulders and abs
- Lie face up on the floor, knees bent and feet flat, holding dumbbells with arms extended toward ceiling, palms facing each other.
- Keeping arms extended, engage abs and sit up tall with arms overhead.
- Bend elbows to lower weights to shoulders, then press weights overhead.
- Slowly lower to start position.
- Do 12 to 20 reps.
Multi Curl: Targets back, shoulders and biceps
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding dumbbells in front of thighs, palms facing forward.
- Quickly curl weights to shoulders, then, keeping elbows close to sides, rotate bent arms out so that arms form a W with palms facing forward.
- Rotate arms back to curl position, then lower. Do 10 reps.
- Next, do 10 full biceps curls, quickly lifting weights to shoulders and then slowly lowering them to thighs.
- Finally, start with elbows bent 90 degrees by sides, forearms parallel to floor. Quickly curl weights nearly to shoulders; lower to 90 degrees. Do 10 reps.
- Do series 3 to 4 times.
Crocodile Row: Targets back, shoulders, biceps and abs
- Holding a dumbbell in right hand, stand with feet staggered wide, left foot in front of right, and hinge forward to place left hand on a bench or chair seat.
- Reach right hand down to outside of left shin (right shoulder faces left).
- Drive right elbow behind you, simultaneously rotating body so that chest faces right and dumbbell is by ribs.
- Reverse motion to starting reach.
- Do 15 to 20 reps; switch sides and repeat.
Combat Burpee: Targets back, shoulders, chest, biceps, triceps, abs, butt and legs
- Start with left foot staggered in front of the right, and fists in front of chest.
- Do 4 punches, alternating hands, then crouch down and place palms on floor in front of feet.
- Jump feet back into plank position, then do a push up.
- Jump feet forward toward hands and stand up, returning to staggered stance (try to switch foot position for second half of reps). Repeat.
- Do 20 reps