Lift to Get Lean
Strength training is not one-sex-fits-all. Sculpt muscle and drop pounds with this routine for a man or a woman.
Try this workout two to three times a week, do 10 reps for the following moves in order, resting 30 seconds between each move. Complete two to three sets.
- Goblet Squat
- Stand tall with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding the end of a dumbbell against your chest with both hands. Bend your knees to allow your hips to drop straight down until your thighs are at least parallel to the floor, keeping your chest lifted. Pause, then press into your heels to stand.
- Reverse Grip Pull down
- Grab the bar at a lat pulldown machine and hands shoulder-width apart and palms facing you, and then sit with your knees securely anchored under the leg pads. Lean back slightly and fully extended your arms without locking the elbows. Keeping your chest lifted, bend your elbows and pull your shoulder blades together to being the bar toward your body. Pause, and then slowly reverse the movement to return to start.
- Bent Over Barbell Row
- Grasp a barbell with your hands shoulder-width apart and palms facing out. Separate your feet by two to four inches and toward your knees. Bend your knees and push your hips back until your hands are ion front of your knees. Keep your abs strongly engaged and slightly arch your lower back. Bring your shoulder blades together and pull the bar toward you until it almost touches your torso just above your navel. Pause, then slowly lower the bar back to start.
- Bent Knee Deadlift
- Grab a barbell with your hands slightly wider than shoulder width, arms straight, palms facing you; bend your knees and sit your hips back, keeping your chest lifted and the weight in your heels. Brace your core and push up to stand. Reverse the movement to return to start, keeping the bar close to your body.
- Walking Lunge
- Grab a pair of dumbbells and stand tall with your feet together, keeping your shoulders back and down and knees slightly bent. Take a large step forward with your right leg, landing on your right heel, then bend both knees to lower until your front thigh is parallel to the floor. Pause, and then push through your right heel to stand. Immediately step forward with your left leg and repeat the movement. Continue alternating legs as you move forward.