The Best One Kettlebell Workout
Got one lonely kettlebell (or dumbbell)? It is more than enough to build muscle.
As trendy as kettlebells have become, many gyms don’t offer enough that you can be sure that you will get a matching pair at any given time. Your best bet then is to do what you can with a single kettlebell. Incidentally, if you train at home and have just one dumbbell, this workout applies to you as well.
How It Works:
One bell means your body will have to compensate for the imbalance by recruiting your core muscles more intensely, and working one side at a time will make for longer sets with a greater cardiovascular demand. Done as a circuit, the exercises that follow raise your heart rate even further, stimulating fat loss.
In Circuit 1, you will perform the exercises in sequence for six reps each. Complete as many rounds as possible in six minutes, and then rest one minute. Repeat twice more, and then rest two minutes before beginning Circuit 2.
- A – One Arm Snatch (6 reps each side)
- Hold a kettlebell in front of your thighs with your right hand and stand with feet between hip and shoulder width. Keep your torso as upright as possible and bend your hips and knees until the weight hangs at midshin level; maintain the arch in your lower back. Jump, extending your hips explosively, and raise the weight straight up your body. When it gets to your chest, flip your wrist and “catch” the bell overhand with your arm extended.
- B – Kettlebell Press Out (6 reps)
- Hold the weight close to your chest at shoulder level with palms facing each other. Squat down as deeply as you can and then press the bell out in front of you. Bring it back to your chest and repeat for reps while maintaining the squat.
- C – Hard Style Kettlebell Swing (6 reps)
- Grasp the kettlebell with both hands and, keeping your lower back flat, extend your hips to raise it off the floor. From there, take a deep breath and bend your hips back. Explosively extend your hips and exhale, allowing the momentum to swing the weight up to shoulder level.
- Turkish Getup
- Raise your torso off the floor. Now use your right foot to raise your hips off the floor. Sweep your left leg back and rest on your left knee. Come up to standing and then reverse the motion to return to the floor. Perform one rep and then switch hands and repeat. Switch back to your right hand and do two reps. Then do two on your left. Continue adding reps until you are up to five one each side. Without rest, reverse the process and work back down to one rep.