Target Your Delts
If you’re short on time, you can still be long on progress. Get balanced shoulders – front, side and rear – in a hurry with this intense, unique delt attack.
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise – 4 sets – 12 to 15 reps
- Dumbbell Front Raise – 4 sets – 12 to 15 reps
- Overhead Dumbbell Press – 4 sets – 8 to 10 reps
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise:
- Typically saved for the end of a workout, the lateral raise is actually great at pre-exhausting the middle heads. The lateral raise is an isolation move or single-joint exercise that works without the assistance of the triceps to perform the movement.
- Targets: middle delts
- Set-Up: Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Keep your abs tight, chest up and shoulders back. With your head straight, hold the dumbbell at your sides with a neutral grip.
- Action: Without using momentum, raise the dumbbell out to your sides in a wide arc, keeping your elbows and hands moving together on same plane. Raise the dumbbells just above shoulder level and hold momentarily in the peak contraction. Slowly lower the dumbbells along the same path and repeat.
- Dumbbell Front Raise:
- Similar to the lateral raise, the dumbbell front raise singles out its target delt head with accuracy, which, in this case, is the front delt head. If you have pre-existing shoulder issues, stop the range of motion at 90 degrees, but fell free to raise the dumbbells as high as 130 degrees for maximum delt recruitment.
- Targets: front delt heads
- Set-Up: Stand, holding a dumbbell in each hand directly in front of your thighs. Keep your abs tight and chest up.
- Action: Keeping your arms straight, raise the dumbbells in front of your just above parallel to the floor. Pause, lower to the starting position and repeat.
- Overhead Dumbbell Press:
- What might surprise you is the fact that you are stronger on the standing version of the overhead press than you are on the seated version. The standing version allows your entire body to contribute. Your legs and lower back add enormous power and strength.
- Targets: all delt heads, with emphasis on your front and middle heads
- Set-Up: Stand, holding a dumbbell in each hand above shoulder level with palms facing forward. Keep your head straight and eyes focused forward..
- Action: Keeping your shoulders back and abs tight, press the dumbbells overhead in an arc, but don’t let the weights touch at the top. Slowly lower to the starting position and repeat.