Build a monstrous upper body with this chest, shoulder, and triceps routine.
Perform the bench press as straight sets. For the other exercises, do one set, rest and then do another set.
Bench Press – 8 sets of 15, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 5, 10 reps
- Grasp the bar with hands just outside shoulder-width apart and arch your back. Pull the bar out of the rack and lower it to your sternum, tucking your elbows about 45 degrees to your sides. When the bar touches your body, drive your feet hard into the floor and press the bar back up. Increase the weight accordingly as the reps decline, and then reduce the weight on the last two sets.
Incline Dumbbell Flye – 4 sets of 10 reps
- Set an adjustable bench to a 30 to 40 degree angle and lie back on it with a dumbbell in each hand. Turn your wrists so your palms face each other. Press the weights straight over your chest and then , keeping a slight bend in your elbows, spread your arms open as if you were going for a big bear hug. Lower your arms until you feel a stretch in your pecs and then bring the weights back together over your chest.
Dumbbell Overhead Press – 4 sets of 10 reps
- Hold dumbbells at shoulder level and brace your abs. Press the weights overhead.
Plyo Pushup – 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Get into pushup position with your hands shoulder-width apart on the floor. Your whole body should be straight. Lower your body toward the floor until your chest is one inch above it. Explosively press back up so that your hands leave the floor and your body rises in the air.
Cable Pushdown – 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Attach a straight bar (or lat-pulldown bar) to a cable station. Grasp the bar with hands shoulder-width apart and tuck your elbows to your sides. Extend your elbows to lock them out.
Lateral Raise – 4 sets of 10 reps
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand at your sides. Raise the weights 90 degrees to your sides so your upper arms are parallel to the floor.
Overhead Triceps Extension – 4 sets of 10 reps
- Attach a rope handle to the upper pulley of a cable station and grasp an end with each hand. Facing away from the machine, step forward and stagger your feet. Let the tension on the cable pull your arms over your head and bend your elbows. Extend your elbows and flex your triceps at the end.