Cannonball delts can be yours if you train them right. Sensational shoulder development is a great way to achieve a dynamic physical presence, whether you a wearing a suit or shorts. Although many body parts are large, few muscles have as much potential for separating you from the pack. Well-rounded and pronounced delts can expand the width of your V-taper to eye-popping proportions.
Proper workout design therefore involves two main components: exercise selection and training technique. You need to perform one or two movements for each head of the deltiod muscle – one for beginners and two for advanced. This will promote balance in the size of the three heads. You also have to do each exercise correctly in order to avoid injury and maximize your mass.
The Most Effective Shoulder Workouts
The Beginner Workout: This is a perfect introduction to the rigors of shoulder training. It uses a relatively high repetition range (8-12) to “break in” your muscles, but is only 9 sets in length.
- Lateral Dumbbell Raise – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Seated Dumbbell Press – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Rear Delt Dumbbell Raise – 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
The Advanced Workout: This has a lower rep range (6-10) to facilitate greater size gains. It is also longer (15 sets). Remember to warm up thoroughly with relatively light weights before you begin your main sets.
- Front Cable Raise – 3 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Lateral Dumbbell Raise – 3 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Rear Delt Dumbbell Raise – 3 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Seated Dumbbell Press – 3 sets of 6 to 10 reps
- Rear Delt Pull on Pec Deck – 3 sets of 6 to 10 reps