Bowled Over – 4 Green Eggs and Ham
Top your carb and fiber rich oatmeal with sweet or savory toppings for a tasty nutritional boost.
Cook 1-cup steel-cut oatmeal according to package directions. When the oatmeal is cooked, add mix-ins to the pot and stir until heated through. Divide the oatmeal into 4 bowls and garnish each serving with toppings.
Savory oatmeal makes a great lunch or dinner. Lean ham and eggs pack protein to satisfy your hunger, while spinach contains nitrates that improve muscle functioning during exercise.
Stir into the pot:
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/3 grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Top each serving with:
- 1 ounce black forest ham, chopped
- 1 fried egg
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- Dash of hot sauce
- 320 calories
- 32 grams carbs
- 5 grams fiber
- 21 grams protein
- 14 grams fat