1,500-Calorie Meal Plan Day 2
Breakfast: 406 calories
Kale, egg and cheddar sandwich
- Sauté ¾ cup kale in 1-teaspoon butter. Set aside. Add 1 large egg to pan and fry. Top 1 toasted sprouted whole-grain English muffin with kale, egg and 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese.
- ¾ cup calcium fortified orange juice
Snack: 99 calories
Lunch: 402 calories
Tuna, carrot, apple sandwich
- Mix 3 ounces canned light tuna with ¼ cup grated carrot, ½ chopped apple, 1-tablespoon light mayonnaise and 1-teaspoon honey mustard. Serve on 1 whole-wheat sandwich thin. .
Green Tea Latte
- Microwave ¾ cup skim milk for 45 seconds. Mix with ¾ cup green tea and 1-teaspoon honey.
Snack: 93 calories
Dinner: 495 calories
Soy Marinated Flank Steak with Soba Noodles
- Combine 2 tablespoon each reduced-sodium soy sauce and lime juice with 1 tablespoon each packed brown sugar, minced garlic and fresh ginger in a large sealable plastic bag. Trim 1-pound flank steak and slice crosswise into ½ inch strips. Add to the bag and marinate at room for 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook 8 ounces buckwheat soba noodles in a pot of boiling water according to package instructions. Add one 12-ounce package broccoli slaw during the last minute of the cooking. Drain, rinse with cold water. Toss in a bowl with 1 tablespoon each reduced-sodium soy sauce, toasted sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds.
- Heat 1 ½ teaspoon peanut oil in a flat bottom wok over high heat. Remove half the steak from the marinade and cook, stirring frequently, until desired doneness, 2 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-high and repeat with another 1 ½ teaspoon oil and the remaining steak. Serve the steak with the noodles.