Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 12-oz can evaporated 2 percent milk
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. chopped chipotle pepper in adobe sauce
- ]2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar
- 8 ounces whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 tbsp. grated Parmesan
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add carrots and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned in spots, about 8 minutes. Add evaporated milk, paprika and chipotle pepper; bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, over low heat until carrots are very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer carrots to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add a few tablespoons milk mixture to thin. Add cheddar and puree, pouring in remaining milk mixture in a thin stream, until smooth. Season with salt; set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted boiling water until al dente; drain. Return pasta to pot, stir in cheese sauce and cook over low heat until just heated through, about 1 minute.
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 6 inches from the heat. Transfer pasta mixture to a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with parmesan and broil on high until top is golden, about 2 minutes.
- 323 calories
- 19 grams protein
- 39 grams carbs
- 12 grams fat