Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Parsnips
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 ¼ pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips (about ½ pound), peeled and cut into ½-inch slices
- ¼ cup evaporated skimmed milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter or margarine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives or green onions
- Combine sweet potatoes and parsnips in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Drain vegetables; return to pan. Add milk, butter, salt and nutmeg. Mash with potato masher over low heat until desired consistency is reached. Stir in chives.
- 136 calories
- 3 grams fat
- 3 grams protein
- 25 grams fiber