Ranch-Chipotle Chicken Wings
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp. dried dill
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 pounds chicken wings, split at the joints (tips removed)
- 1 ½ cups plus 2 tbsp. buttermilk
- 1 small onion, sliced into thick rings
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. chipotle hot sauce
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- Combine the onion powder, garlic powder, dried dill, and 1 tsp. salt and ½ tsp. pepper in a small bowl. Put the wings in a large bowl and toss with 1 ½ cups buttermilk, the onion slices and 1 tsp. of the spice mix; cover and refrigerate 2 hours. Drain well, discarding the onion.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with vegetable oil. Toss the wings with all but 1 tsp. of the remaining spice mix and spread on the baking sheet. Roast until browned and crisp, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the ranch-chipotle sauce. Combine the mayonnaise, the remaining 2 tbsp. buttermilk, the vinegar, sugar, hot sauce and chives in a bowl. Add the reserved 1 tsp. spice mix and season with salt. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Transfer the wings to a platter and serve with the sauce.