The mightiest grain you’ve never heard of has more protein – and flavor – than brown rice.
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered through the core
- 1 small carrot, quartered lengthwise
- 1 small celery stalk, halved lengthwise and crosswise
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups farro
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil, then add the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Stir, then cover; reduce heat to low and cook until the vegetables soften.
- Add the faro and stir to coat with the oil and vegetables. Add enough water to cover the faro by about a ½ inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the faro is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove and discard the vegetables. Serve farro warm.
- 291 calories
- 8 grams protein
- 50 grams carbs
- 7 grams fat