Whole-Wheat Pasta with braised squash, chard, and pistachios
- ¾ pound whole-wheat pasta
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 leeks (white and light green parts only) halved and sliced
- 1 small bunch Swiss chard, stems, chopped and leaves sliced, separated
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ½ kabocha squash (about 2 pounds) peeled and cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 ounces pecorino, grated (about ½ cup), plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup roasted pistachios, chopped
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leeks, chard stems, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the squash and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered until the squash is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the squash mixture (and any liquid), chard leaves, pecorino, the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, and ½ teaspoon salt to the pasta and toss to coat.
- Serve topped with pistachios.