Lose Your Gut – Dinner
- ½ cup coarsely chopped unsalted cashews
- 2 tbsp. virgin coconut oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 2 cups red bell peppers, julienned
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp. scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cashews to pan; cook until lightly toasted, stirring frequently. Remove from pan.
- Add coconut oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add chicken, sauté 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan and place in a bowl.
- Add bell pepper to pan; sauté 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and ginger; cook 30 seconds. Add chicken back to pan; cook 1 minute. Sprinkle with cashews and scallions. Serve with ¼ cup brown rice.
- 350 calories
- 19 grams fat
- 28 grams protein
The MASH Grill:
- 1 pound flank skirt steak
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ tbsp. sesame oil
- 3 tbsp. wine vinegar
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Sriracha or other Asian chili sauce for serving
- Combine the steak, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil and 1 tbsp. of the vinegar in a sealable plastic bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before cooking.
- An hour before cooking, combine the sliced cucumber with a pinch of salt and remaining vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill, grill pan, or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the steak 3-4 minutes per side, until a nice crust develops on the surface and the meat is firm but yielding to the touch.
- Slice steak thinly, then serve with the lettuce leaves for wrapping, plus the rice, cucumber, Sriracha.
- 320 calories
- 8 grams fat
- 29 grams protein
The Ultimate Burger:
- 1 pound ground lean beef, turkey or chicken
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly cracked pepper
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- ½ tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 cups arugula
- ½ cup caramelized onions
- Ketchup and mustard
- Heat a grill or stove top grill pan until hot. Combine the meet, salt, and pepper in a bowl and gently mix. Form into 4 patties. Caution: overworking the meat or packing your patties too tightly can make tough burgers.
- Cook the burgers for 2-3 minutes ad flip. Cook on the other side for another 2 to 3 minutes, until nicely charred on the outside but still medium-rare to medium inside.
- Meanwhile, sauté the sliced mushrooms in the olive oil until the mushrooms soften and release their liquid.
- After you remove the burgers, toast the buns briefly. Divide the arugula among the buns and top with the burger, mushrooms, and onions.
- 387 calories
- 13 grams fat
- 31 grams protein