Zesty Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 jar of salsa
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 small green bell pepper
- ½ cup low-fat pepper jack
- 4 tbsp. cumin
- 3 tbsp. chili powder
- 16 oz. chicken broth
- 3 large zucchinis
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees or use a crock-pot to slow cook chicken.
- Season your chicken breast with ½ of the cumin and ½ of the chili powder. You can also add garlic powder salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the chicken has been seasoned, sear it in a pan until it’s golden brown on each side (this will lock in the flavor before it is slow cooked).
- Add chicken and broth to a large pot or crock-pot (in the oven at 275 degrees for eight hours in crock-pot of high for four).
- Once chicken is fully cooked, remove, shred and set aside.
- Slice you zucchini lengthwise and scoop middle out with a spoon (creating a boat).
- Set aside the scooped out zucchini.
- To soften zucchini before stuffing, drop them into boiling water for 1-2 minutes.
- While zucchini are boiling, sauté the chopped bell pepper and onion.
- Add in chicken, scooped zucchini, cilantro, the rest of the seasoning and tomato paste.
- Place zucchini boats on a nonstick baking sheet and pour a few tablespoons of salsa into the bottom of each boat.
- Stuff the boats with the chicken mixture and top with the remaining salsa.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Garnish the boats with scallions or cilantro and low-fat pepper jack.
- 123 calories
- 8 grams fat
- 23 grams protein
- 16 grams carbs