Steak Au Poivre With Mushrooms
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. grapeseed oil
- 2 shallots, thin julienned
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, quartered
- 3 oz. brandy
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 oz. heavy cream
- 6 strip steaks (8 0z.)
- 4 tbsp. cracked black pepper
- Sea salt
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp. of grapeseed oil, then add the shallots and all the mushrooms. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until mushrooms are slightly caramelized. Deglaze carefully with the brandy (it can catch fire).
- Add the thyme and heavy cream. Continue to cook the mushroom-shallot mixture and allow the cream to reduce in the pan for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat 2 large pans on high heat and split the ¼ cup of oil between the pans. Crust the beef with cracked black pepper on one side only. Season with salt. Place the crust-side down and sear for 3 minutes.
- Flip the steaks and sear for another 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook to desired temperature. Tent loosely with foil and let rest for 3 minutes before serving with mushrooms.
- 686 calories
- 72 grams protein
- 15 grams carbs
- 33 grams fat